A quick reflection

The past few weeks I looked back into the lives of my missionary parents as I gather photographs and create some video footage for them to see at their retirement party, I came to a important understanding of how blessed I am to have such great role models as parents. I am very lucky.


I mentioned in the video "I'm super excited to be stuck with them forever". I never thought I'd be thankful for parents who understand the need to instil encouragement, guidance, consistency and even discipline into their kids lives. As young people we may not like it at times but it is truly what we need. And as a young married couple it is what we rely on to bring into our new family through marriage. It is a fact that lessons you learnt as a child you will pass onto your own kids, and when you bring two different childhoods together, somehow you have to make it all work.

My mother always reminds me that, there is nothing wrong with a little bit of tough love and it's how the "tough love" is enforced that counts. I am certain that I could tell you tons of stories of how she implemented "tough love" towards my brother and I, but I'll save that for next time.

I feel that today as the younger generation, we think we know everything, but it's hard to admit we can learn a lot from our parents, aunts, uncles and even our teachers. We can learn firstly to never give up. Always try your hardest at everything you do. This really can include anything from day to day activities, to the bigger pictured dreams you have for yourself.

Secondly, in amongst hard situations, forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you. The phrase forgive and forget can be true here but we really need to learn the important life lesson it taught us. You may have a mother who took everything out of your bed room down to the last teddy bear in your room, to teach you a lesson in how having "things" is a privilege and to never steal. You may not have liked the way she taught you but, at 25 you never forgot the life lesson that was learnt here. (insert cringe face)

And finally, that time has a wonderful way of showing us what truly matters in life. Spending time with family, friends and even those not so close to you, because life is short and as the youth of this generation say today - YOLO (you only live once).

- Mrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.